You get your oil changed every 3,000 miles . . . you get your teeth cleaned at least once a year . . . you even get regular physical exams . . . Your marriage deserves a checkup too!
It is important to do a checkup of your marital or dating relationship to keep up with your relational demands. One of the areas of my coaching and counseling business has been focused on helping couples achieve an intentional relationship. A couple checkup is one of the most effective and intentional tools that I have found to take an insightful look at the key areas of your relationship including communication, conflict resolution, financial management, spiritual beliefs and more.
How does the Couple Checkup work?
- Contact me with you and your significant others email address, and for a special price of $29.95, a link will be provided for you and your significant other.
- Answer a few background questions about your relationship, allowing the Couple Checkup to be customized to your relationship stage (dating, engaged, or married) and structure (with or without children, forming a stepfamily, etc.).
- Spend 20-30 minutes reading through a series of statements and indicate whether you “agree” or “disagree” that each statement accurately describes your relationship.
- Your partner will also login and respond to the same statements.
Once you are both finished, the computer system analyzes your responses and immediately generates your comprehensive Couple Checkup Report (approximately 20 page PDF file). You can then setup time with me to go through the results of the assessment in detail either face-to-face or over Skype. Finally, you will receive an extensive Discussion Guide (PDF file) designed to help you discuss and apply your results.
The goals of a Couple Checkup are straightforward:
- Take an in depth look at your own relationship
- Begin to identify your relationship strengths and issues that need attention
- Be proactive. Don’t wait for problems to become serious before dealing with them
- Spur on productive and insightful conversation that leads to action and change
Discover – Taking an online relationship inventory and generating your Couple Checkup Report will peak your curiosity. As you explore your results, you and your partner will discover your strengths and issues. You’ll see where you agree and disagree as you gain insight into one another’s perceptions of your relationship. You need to know where you’re starting from so you can chart a course for where you want to go.
Share – A key to any great relationship is communication. But how do you bring up the difficult topics? How do you create a safe environment for open discussion? The topics covered in the Couple Checkup help generate productive conversations you wouldn’t otherwise have; conversations that apply specifically to your relationship.
Grow – Each couple going through the Couple Checkup process has access to a free Discussion Guide. This workbook is filled with easy to use exercises designed to introduce new skills and facilitate discussions that will help you move from insight to action.